1870’s Connecticut 1st Horse Guards Helmet Plate
Brass cap plate with crest for the state of Connecticut with wire reverse attachments, one missing. Originally worn by Connecticut’s 1st Company Governor’s Horse Guards.
The Governors Independent Volunteer Troop of Horse Guards was founded in 1778 in Hartford, Connecticut and was modeled after England’s Royal Regiment of Horse Guards. Soon renamed the 1st Company Governor’s Horse Guards. Most of the Cavalrymen were veterans of the American Revolution. The Horse Guards furnished troops in the War of 1812 and the Civil War as well as being Federalized for service on the Mexican Border, in WWI and WWII.