Wartime Collectables
Military Antiques

Andrew H. & Gale V. Lipps
P.O. Box 165
Camden, SC 29021

USA

ph. 803-463-6935 (text o.k.)
Email wartime@wartimecollectables.com
(Email is much easier than phone!)

Militaria updated 7/11/19

Ebay auctions

____________________________________________________

WWII PT MTB Officers Badge

"ELCO" marked gilted Officers PT Boat badge.  Note that this is a true Elco badge as given out by the company and not simply a wartime PT Badge
$185.00 SOLD




Motor Torpedo Boat Squadrons
Motor Torpedo Boats (MTB) were the fast torpedo boats by the United States Navy and the Royal Navy of WWII. Designed for speed and maneuverability to get in close and launch torpedoes at enemy vessels. With little armor, they relied on speed and maneuverability. More commonly.referred to as "PT Boats" (Patrol, Torpedo) and nicknamed "the mosquito fleet". In 1940 the U.S. Navy organized PT Boats into squadrons. The Navy's official squadron designation was Motor Torpedo Boat Squadron, regularly referred to as a RON. A total of 45 Rons were commissioned. Squadrons were generally 12-16 boats and would usually contain all the same type of boats, such as all Elcos or all Higgins.
German motor torpedo boats of World War II were called S-Boote (Schnellboote German for "fast boats") by the Kriegsmarine and E-boats by the allies. Italian MTBs of this period were known as "Motoscafo Armato Silurante (MAS) translating as "torpedo armed motorboats". Soviet MTBs (including period of World War II) were known as ????????? ????? translating as "torpedo cutter".
PT Boat Manufacturers
The Elco Naval Division boats were the largest in size of the three types of PT boats built during World War II. By war's end, 326 of the Elco 80-foot boats were built.
Higgins Industries in New Orleans, Louisiana, produced 199, 78-foot boats. Many Higgins boats were sent to the Soviet Union and Great Britain at the beginning of the war, so many of the lower-numbered squadrons in the U.S. Navy were made up exclusively of Elcos. The Higgins boats were used in the Battle for the Aleutian Islands (Attu and Kiska), in the Mediterranean and during the D-Day landings on 6 June 1944. Huckins received the smallest contract: of 18 boats and 17 were completed. Not if the quality of the other two manufacturers, none of them saw combat but were assigned to home defense squadrons in the Panama Canal Zone, Florida and Hawaii at Pearl Harbor.