Engraved Confederate Wood Canteen
Classic Gardner pattern wooden canteen measures approximately 7.5 inches by 3 inches. Wonderfully engraved with Confederate battle flag and two names. JB Ellis and S Mays. Sold years ago with research but it has been misplaced, attempting to trace the gents. One Ellis stands out but uncertain.
$1,750.00 ON SOLD
James B. Ellis
Enlisted on 8/9/1861 at Camp Maurice, VA as a Private
On 8/9/1861 he mustered into "E" Co. VA 5th Cavalry
He was transferred out
He was listed as On rolls 2/28/1862
Hospitalized 2/15/1865 Richmond, VA
He also had service in: "G" Co. VA 13th Cavalry
The Virginia Regimental Histories Series
The Confederate Quartermaster issue tin drum canteen was of simple construction as Southern industry lacked the stamping dies to make the spheroid style used by the Federal army. By late 1862 metal was in short supply, so the CSA Quartermasters were forced to reintroducing the wooden canteen of the pre-war era.
.Francis Gardner of the Richmond Arsenal improved the design by introducing curved faces making the canteen stronger. The curved ends of the staves were hidden under the iron bands.
These curved faces were shaped on a lathe 7 to 8 inches in diameter 2 to 2 1/2 inch wide. Bound with iron bands 1 to 2 inches wide, these bands were set with round headed nails or tacks. Three thin iron. sling loops were fastened under the restraining bands.
Made of cedar or cherry, these woods were popular in the South and would expand when wet to seal the joints. It was a popular pastime to carve named and designs into these canteens.
Francis Gardner patented this canteen and it became the standard issue canteen produced throughout the South by the main arsenals and small contractors alike.